Thursday, June 21, 2007

One of the Greatest of all Privileges

My neighbor strolled over on Tuesday morning (June 19) to tell me she'd discovered the nest of one pair of our Baltimore Oriole residents. So, even though I was only partway through the planting of my Blue Muffin Viburnum, I left the bush wondering about its new home and followed my neighbor to her driveway. About 25 feet or so (I'm only guessing) above the ground was the bag-like nest that I've only read and heard about. As we stood, gazing up into the tree, the father flew to the opening at the top. He brought home the bacon and we were treated to the clamoring for food. After a few minutes I returned to my bush, none the worse for the brief episode of "neglect," and finished the planting ceremony.

(Want info about orioles? Click the link) Baltimore Oriole

So this morning, after a brief walk, I again strode to their driveway with a camera around my neck. Before YOU get too excited, you have to remember that my new digital camera - as fond of it as I am - has a somewhat major drawback. It only has a 3x magnification. Wonder if they make a gizmo to put over the lens to increase the strength?? Anyway, all that is to say that I really didn't get any good pictures.

As I approached the driveway, I heard little "chee, chee, chee" sounds. As I neared the foot of the tree and looked up, I spotted three, nearly-grown chicks fluttering and "climbing" the branches of the tall oak tree. Each was stopping to rest, chirp and wait for their parents' attention (and food). The parents were doing "double time" bringing goodies to their offspring. As a parent neared one of them and landed on a branch, the chick really increased its volume and tone!

One chick was quite high. A second chick was nearly halfway up the tree, and the third little guy spotted me and ducked back into the nest. It wasn't long before he was urged to climb out, and he did. He wasn't quite as adventuresome as the others, but as he climbed higher, he too was treated to some delicate morsel by one of his parents.

I rather think that's the way life should be. We don't all reach the same height. We don't climb at the same speed. But, climb we do and climb we must. And all the while, our parents, our family, our friends urge us on and give us those "warm fuzzies," which help us to keep at it.

Or at least I think that's the way it should be, right?

Just one of those reflective moments from in the shade of a tree.

In case you have a little more time to spend...

and the inclination... you will find, on the bottom right quarter of the photo, a clear space with a narrow branch angling from the bottom to the top of that space. At the top of that branch is the young bird. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you can search for that space and try to locate the bird. It really looks like one of the surrounding leaves... but, that's the best I could do. (It's a little like "Find Waldo.")

Have a great day!

Yours truly,

No comments: