Sunday, August 26, 2007

Saturday Afternoon

We first took a walk through the prairie. My husband pointed out the Autumn Olive seedlings that the birds are planting by seed dispersion. He's having to destroy not only the mature plants furnished (as seedlings) for planting several years ago but also these new seedlings. Instead of being the ideal bushy refuge and food source for birds, they've become invasive.

I know not everyone appreciates thistles, but I truly think they're beautiful. I'm not the only thistle fan. Check out the Great Spangled Fritillaries below!
(Click on the name for more information and the photo to enlarge it.)
We were on the edge of the prairie and just next to the woodland edge.
Close-up of the thistle.
This is Partridge Pea.
Next, we headed for the woods.
Trees
"I think that I shall never see
a poem lovely as a tree.
. . .
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."
by Sergeant Joyce Kilmer I credit the following fungi to our recent rainfall. I had a comment, upon which I took action to investigate. The fungus below is most probably a Puffball.
I have NO idea what this is.

This is Monotropa uniflora, Indian pipe. Sometimes people find more beautiful specimens.
Click on the botanical name to go to a site that provides a photo of another "version," and additional information.Last, but not least, a few other items to share:
Path of a bark beetle,
Jewel weed, nature's defense against poison ivy "itch!"This area was so very overgrown and lush with rainfall,
that several jewelweed had fallen over... note this one's rooted stem.
Poke Weed (often called Poke Berry)
The plant parts are poisonous. (click on the name for more information)

I don't know what these flowers are... do you? Each stem was multi-flowered.

Towards the end of the trail, I noticed a few sticky seeds
had clung to the tail of my shirt. As I walked, I picked them off and dropped them.
I was providing a means of seed disbursement until,
at the END of the trail, I looked down and saw...

Thousands of seeds stuck to my socks!I'm trying to decide whether I should pick off the seeds
or throw the socks away!

Your verdict?




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say toss the socks. Just think, if you were paying yourself by the hour to pick the seeds off and the socks are worth a buck or two...just not worth it! Have you seen any wooly worms yet? I have seen two, and both of them were totally black, which according to old farmer's lore, means an early frost. Marcia

Shady Gardener said...

Ahhhh.... just what I was hoping to hear! Okay, they're "outta here!" :-)

Shady Gardener said...

Well, I know that the wooly worm eventually turns into what is called the Isabella tiger moth. They're really pretty! (Do a google search for pictures. I know you'll recognize it!)

Otherwise, I've heard the lore... but I'm told it's not predictable. Let's watch and find out. (If the frost comes in early September, they're right on and I'm a "believer!") :-)