Saturday, September 20, 2008

It's the Berries!

I'm taking a cue from Mr. McGregor's Daughter to post about the berries in my yard. She gives credit to Lisa from Greenbow who posted on Carol's (of May Dreams Gardens) post.

Someday I wish to have lots of berries for the birds! However, at this point, I think I have a fairly good start.

This bush is really turning red this fall.
It has all these little berry/seeds that I presume birds don't eat.
(I have more seedlings growing than you could believe!)

Euonymus alata 'Compactus'
Burning Bush


This plant is now one year and three months old!
And these three berries were all I could find.
I'm anticipating many more next Fall! :-)

Viburnum dentatum 'Blue Muffin'



This is an original planting.
It grows on the very shady east side of the house.
It is a little spindly but it continues to thrive.
It was identified as Arrowwood.
At this site it tells me that Arrowwood is really

Viburnum Dentatum 'Arrowwood'



This is another original planting to the house.
Everything I discover to read about this shrub
describes its Spring Fragrant Flowers (emphasis mine -
which means they're right!).
However, nowhere do I read about berries.
This is what I found, shown below.

Viburnum Burkwoodii 'Mohawk'



Around here, this tree is known as "Barbie's Tree."
This tree was planted in honor of my sister
whose death occurred two years ago this coming Oct. 16.
(The tree was planted June 19, 2007.)

Malus 'Sargentii'
aka 'Sargent Flowering Crabapple'
It is Very Floriferous in the Spring!
Just look at the crab apples! :-)
You, too, could post about your berries!
(If you haven't already done so.)

Have a berry nice day! ;-)
Shady G

9 comments:

Gail said...

Beautiful berries! I didn't even think to look at the viburnums out in the garden! They are beautiful bery producers!

gail

Anonymous said...

I love viburnums! and so do the birds. They always pick mine clean. You have a nice variety. I posted earlier about one of mine not having many berries this year ~ maybe it was lack of moisture?? Planting a tree in memory of your sister is a very nice thing to do.

Rosemary said...

great pictures of the berries.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Gail, The birds are licking their chops! ha. ;-)

Kathleen, I look forward to providing for the birds in the Winter. I'm not sure why your berries were not prolific... but at least you're trying! :-) Barbie liked to garden, too. So, her tree keeps us "in touch."

Thanks for stopping, Rosemary!

Anonymous said...

Shady ~ So glad to see how healthy and attractive is that Sargent's Crab that you planted for your sister. It's a wonderful tree. I have it's cultivar 'Tina' - also very fruitful and even more compact.

Glad to see everyone including berries for the birds. It's an easy thing to do, as so many plants offering a food source to songbirds are also attractive landscape specimens. My 'Wentworth' Viburnum is covered with big red fruit clusters and the spring flat panicled blooms are phenomenal!

The fruits produced by your Euonymus alatus 'Compacta' should provide a source of winter food for your birds. I have the standard Euonymus alatus (not the compact variety) and the cardinals and mockingbirds clean up the fruit every winter. They've been banned here in MA (the Burning Bushes, not the birds) as being invasive, but I'm not ripping mine out. Shh!

Your post is "the berries!"

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

What a beautiful bunch of berries! I'm ashamed to admit that I have a Burning Bush (Euonymous alata). I've never noticed whether the birds go after the berries. It's way in the back corner of the garden & I do my best to ignore it. Those Viburnum berries really do look like blueberries. I'll bet there were more berries on 'Blue Muffin' but somebody has already come along eaten them. I hope you'll post photos of the Viburnums when their leaves turn. I do like 'Arrowwood.' Thanks for posting the a photo of 'Mohawk's' berries. I've never seen a photo of them before. They're pretty cool. Your Crabapples are such a beautiful red, they almost look fake. Berry nice post! (I just couldn't resist.)

Shady Gardener said...

Deb, I'm going to have to look up "Wentworth" viburnum. I don't know as we've "met." ;-) If it grows well for you, it surely would grow for me! By the way, if my Burning Bush weren't in a rocky bed, it'd be invasive!! And the wiry little seedlings are difficult to pull.

MMD, You have to know that I did my "berry post" berry quickly (I can't resist, either!) ;-) Anyway, this morning, I found just a couple more berries I could have included: both Solomon's Seal and Solomon's Plume! (You've just helped me identify the difference between the two. I clearly remember the Solomon's Plume flowers this past Spring and "wondered" about them!) Thanks!!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Great berries SG. I must say that when the birds find your Arrowwood Viburnum the berries won't be there long. They gobble the ones in my garden almost as soon as they ripen. I didn't have any to take a picture of.

We are going to plant a crabapple tree this fall. They are also great attractors of birds.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Lisa, Isn't it nice to know you're doing something fairly easy to feed the birds? Around here, Cedar Waxwings eat the crab apples. I hope to catch them in the act this Winter/early Spring!