Thursday, April 22, 2010

"Memory Tree"

Click on the photos for enlargement!

Each time I glance through the window,
What a sight from the kitchen I see!
'Sargentii' exuding full blossom,
and memories beckon to me.

'Sargentii' "belongs" to my sister.
In her honor I planted this tree.
It's a tribute because we have missed her.
Her life's caught in our memory.

Can you think of anything sweeter?
Could celebration of life better be?
Than to cherish and care for a loved one
by planting a "Memory Tree?"

by Yours Truly with love to my family


*** 'Sargentii' is really Malas 'Sargentii', aka Sargent Flowering Crabapple.


Yes, I realize today is Arbor Day. It's a day I have celebrated each year in a variety of ways.

Many years ago, the Arbor Day Foundation sent (absolutely free of charge) second grade teachers a complete curriculum guide and supplies for preparing for and learning about Arbor Day. One could pick and choose activities that could take up to two weeks or so in learning about trees (I placed it in plant study). One activity of major interest was scarifying seeds, germinating them, and planting them. After 3 - 4 weeks on the classroom windowsill, they were ready to take home as mini-seedless, thornless honey locust trees. The children were so proud!


If you would like to visit the Arbor Day Foundation, click this link to their website. Find out their interests and promotions this year!


In the meantime, if you hadn't thought of it before,
place the idea of planting a "Memory Tree" in your memory bank.
You'll be glad you did.

Have a beautiful day!
SG

17 comments:

Sheila said...

Very sweet and a charming tribute!

Anonymous said...

Your poem is beautiful, and the tree is a loving, lasting tribute to your sister.

Rosemary said...

Lovely poem and gorgeous tree. Loved your earlier past , amazed at the butterfly photo...

bobbie said...

I can think of no better tribute to a loved one than a memory tree.

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

What a beautiful and touching tribute, and the tree is just exquisite. Thank you for sharing your memory tree with us.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

How sweet, Shady and a constant reminder of the beauty your sister brought into your life.

Noelle Johnson said...

What a perfect tribute to your sister. The tree is just lovely with it's flowers. I planted a tree in memory of my father and it is very special to me as well.

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you for your visit, Sheila.

Hi Nancy, I appreciate your compliments. :-)

Hi Rosemary, Thank you. This is such a wonderful Spring!

You're right, Bobbie.

Thank you, Rebecca.

Carolyn Gail, She was a very sincere person with a great smile!

Noelle, What did you plant in honor of your father?

Linus said...

Beautiful poem, mom.

Love, C

Kathleen said...

That's a beautiful tree SG and wonderful to look out your window and see it there. I really like living memorials like this.
On another subject, guess what? The Virginia bluebells have buds on them! I'm beyond excited! :-)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love the idea of the memory tree, and what a pretty tree to remind you of your sister!

joco said...

Lovely token of remembrance and such a peaceful spot for it as well. Those woods across your lane look inviting.

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you, C ;-) Will there be a new post on Linus' blog? Tell him I'm his fan!

Thanks, Kathleen! Oh, I'm so happy! You transplanted those little fellows at the perfect time, it sounds! :-) Hope you post them.

Hi Catherine. This tree doesn't get terribly tall, but the one we had at our former home was wider than it was tall and it was Just Loaded with blossoms every Spring! :-)

Hi Joco, The trees in our wooded area are nearly all (several varieties of) Oak with a few Hickory. Nice hardwood trees!

Gail said...

A lovely tree to memorialize your sister~~I think planting trees for a loved one is the best way to honor them and the earth~I planted a Hamamelis vernalis spps which I named 'Bernice' for my mom! I love having it right by the front entrance~~ gail

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Gail, I do remember your planting the Witch Hazel (beautiful!) in honor of your mom. Isn't it nice that it's where you see it all the time? :-)

Rose said...

What a wonderful way to remember your sister. When I see my white crabapple, which may be the same cultivar, I always think of my mother-in-law, because she was the one who planted it. I wish she could see what a beautiful tree it has become.

Shady Gardener said...

Having sentiment attached to a planting deepens one's own roots in the home area, doesn't it? Thanks for your visit. Your mother-in-law must have been very special.