Monday, December 17, 2007

Do Amaryllis Bulbs Divide?

I brought my amaryllis indoors in October. I placed it in a basement storage room until this past week. After the leaves had (pretty much) dried out, I broke off the remaining one and ignored it.

I did succumb, thanks to the many posts of amaryllis blooms I've seen lately, to purchasing one in the local WM store. The bulb on the left is the new bulb. Note that it has a couple of leaves beginning to grow. The one on the right is the one in question.

Believe it or not, the soil had not even dried out yet when I brought the bulb upstairs. Now... it hadn't begun to grow, so I suppose I'm rushing things... but, what's that little spear sticking up next to the bulb? Did the it reproduce?

Or is my amaryllis shadier than I am? ;-)

8 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

Yeah it created an offset. It should be blooming size/age in about two-three years.

Shady Gardener said...

Guess I'll just have to wait and watch my main bulb...
When might I divide the offset from the main bulb?

MrBrownThumb said...

You can divide it when it has two to three leaves of it's own. Or you can leave it to get a bigger display of flowers.

Amaryllis Offsets

If you see that link you'll see that one of mine has offsets growing on the offsets now.

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you! How fun to learn so many new things!! ;-)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I can never keep Amaryllis going. How great that yours is so happy that it is reproducing!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi McD Daughter! Oh, I call it the "winds of fortune!" ha. Actually, you'll notice the main bulb isn't growing yet... ;-)

My Aunt MEA tells me she doesn't allow the offsets to grow because she feels they might take energy from the bulb.

I'm undecided... I may poke around and see if I can divide it at this point in time...

Bob said...

Congrats on the new baby. My father started with a few and now has about 20 amaryllis. They are really impressive when in bloom. Bob

Anonymous said...

Interesting post you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thanks for posting this material.
Sexy Lady
Call girls