Friday, December 14, 2007

What a Shimmery World!

I didn't have my camera with me today... sorry.

Because there were so many hungry birds the other morning, about all I got done was watching them and taking pictures! I'm sharing a couple of photos I took from my kitchen window. The day was not bright and shimmery. It was cold and icy! At least one of the following photos was not compressed, so you can better appreciate our ice!
I like the above photo because I caught a junco and a goldfinch in flight (you can tell by the white sidebar on his wing). Mr. cardinal is looking our way.
The one below shows a flicker on the birdfeeder (with goldfinches and sparrows), a male cardinal in flight, and a female "up front" waiting her turn.
I just had to try to take a photograph of the cardinal and blue jay on the ice branches.
Here's the cutest little fellow... a downy woodpecker!
The flicker is not at all intimidated by other birds. In fact, he's pretty mean about making sure no one invades "his space!" You can almost see the little sparrow using his "air-brakes" when he sees the flicker heading his way! The female cardinal turns her back.

Our female cardinal and little downy, side by side... watching - and I'm inside... watching! ;-)There were nuthatches, black-capped chickadees, house finches, red-bellied woodpeckers, and a hairy woodpecker, too! My what a fine morning.

:-)

4 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

What a cool assortment of birds you got there.

I'm surprised you don't have pics of cats looking up and licking their lips.

2greenthumbsup said...

I love watching the birds, too. I've been teaching my son to identify them as well. So far he's up to robin and cardinal. Sitting at the table for supper in the summer, he would stop eating, point out the window, and exclaim, "That is a cardinal in the tree!". We haven't had a lot of sightings lately.

Shady Gardener said...

I just signed up for a couple of birdwatching "assignments!" 2greenthumbsup - You and your son might enjoy this!! :-)

Look at the sidebar for Great Backyard Bird Count and Project Feederwatch links.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Isn't watching the birds just the greatest? Nice photos.