Monday, April 21, 2014

Who Knows What Manner of Leaves Lie in the Heart of the Raised Beds?

To see a nice slide show of the photos, click on the first one (after you've read the post, of course!) ;-)


Or in any other sites around the yard, such as next to the house south of the front deck...

And the front of the south side of the front deck...

Or, looking north a bit further, you can see the rest of this front bed that has been unraked, contrasting with the parts that were raked (today!).

It's Spring!  It's Spring!  That Heady time of year, when tons of wicked little leaves (and rakes) suddenly "appear!" 

These  leaves await my rake.  They are along the southeast side of the house...

 


This side of the driveway looks really great!!  Raked the lawn and beds Friday!


So far, I've only raked one tarp-load of leaves today... a few minutes ago, dark clouds and thunder rolled in.  It rained hard (!) for a minute or two...

But now it's stopped, and I'm ready to head back outdoors to rake another load!  The worst thing about raking wet leaves is the fact that, piled on a tarp, the load is much heavier than dry leaves... and harder to pull any distance at all...

Not complaining, much.  It looks so NICE and CLEAN and I am so happy when I get an area raked!

Sunny Corner bed, raked yesterday

Now, with regard to Camelot:  I haven't seen the movie in many, many years.  But we haven't yet reached the month of May, and I have a LOT of raking to do before I can attempt any other thing!  (Except to enjoy the Spring blossoms that appear at this time of year!)

 Hellebore (Royal Heritage)

Siberian Squill

Can you spot a few of the daffodils I planted a couple of years ago... in the "way back?"  (I hope to plant a lot more this coming Fall!!!)

Getting ready for  Virginia Bluebells!

Happy Spring!  Happy Spring Gardening to you, my blogging friends!!
Shady Gardener... though, until the leaves appear on our deciduous Oak trees, I'm really feeling Sunny!  :-)

7 comments:

GRACE PETERSON said...

Don't you love spring? When the beds get cleaned up, it really brightens the spirits. And at the end of the day when the muscles are rebelling, we feel great about what we've accomplished. Happy spring, Kathy.

Nutty Gnome said...

A belated Happy Easter Shady m'dear - and a wonderfully happy Spring too!
Your garden looks lovely and tidy all de-leafed and I'm loving seeing all the newbies popping up :-)

I'm having a quiet day today as I pulled my back over the weekend - probably levering a too large rock...do I ever learn? No!

Beth said...

Looking good! It gives one such a good feeling to get the garden clean up done! I love your wooded area; the daffodils look great there. I think some Jack in the pulpit and other woodland flowers would make a nice addition too. :)

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Grace, You are right! I actually now have all the beds cleaned and just a few "gangways" between the raised beds to finish! :-) It's feeling wonderful because it's still early enough that I don't have to worry about being late to plant!!! (This year will probably be May 1)

Shady Gardener said...

Liz, It's both you and I!! But, it's okay. We recover and we're right back "at it!" What is the rock you've been moving???

Shady Gardener said...

Beth, You are right! I love the daffodils for the bright color out there. But I do have Jacks-ink-the-Pulpit, Trillium, Dutchman's Breeches, Trout Lilies (Dog-toothed violets), Spring Beauties, May Apples... what have I missed??? ;-)

This is the beauty of living in/near a woodland! Happy Spring to you!!!

Randy Emmitt said...

Shady,
Those leaves you have a lot of work to do. Great hearing from you! I spend more time on facebook these days than blogging.