Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It's Nearly April First!


In honor of April Fools' Day,
A poem by Eugene Field.

A Play on Words
(to be read aloud rapidly)

Assert ten Barren love day made
Dan woo'd her hart buy night tan day;
Butt wen knee begged she'd marry hymn,
The creel bell may dancer neight.

Lo atter fee tin vein he side
Ant holder office offal pane--
A lasses mown touched knot terse sole--
His grown was sever alw Lynn vane.

"Owe, beam my bride, my deer, rye prey,
And here mice size beef ore rye dye;
Oak caste mean knot tin scorn neigh way--
Yew are the apple love my nigh!"

She herd Dan new we truly spoke.
Key was of noble berth, and bread
Tool lofty mean and hie renown,
The air too grate testates, 't was head.

"Ewe would due better, sir," she bald,
"Took court sum mother girl, lie wean--
Ewer knot mice stile, lisle never share
The thrown domestic azure queen!"

" ' T is dun, no farebutt Scilly won--
Aile waiste know father size on the!"
Oft tooth the nay bring porte tea flue
And through himself into the see.


:-) Have a Great Day!
SG

12 comments:

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

Well, I can tell you that I was in fact married on April 1, 20 years ago tomorrow. The fact that it only lasted 13 years didn't have anything to do with the day, I expect! ;-)

Bren Haas said...

These hosta's are awesome! Mine are just starting to pop up from under it's blanket of mulch.

I can't wait to share them with you in a few months. Please stop over and see what I have shared for Bloom Tuesday!

Phoenix C. said...

I need a cup of tea after reading that aloud quickly!

Lovely hosta, such a beautiful bright green highlight on the foliage.

Nutty Gnome said...

Ha ha, great poem! It sounds good and works well in a Yorkshire accent too - I don't know what your accent sounds like to image you saying it though!

Gorgeous hostas too. Mine have pink flowers, but the creamy white ones look lovely against those leaves.

Shady Gardener said...

Oh, oh. I should have mentioned that the hosta photo was taken last Summer. It's 'Paradigm.'

Monica, Check back tomorrow! I doubt it had anything to do with the day.

Hi Bren! I'll pop over right now! :-)

Phoenix, :-) I completely understand. Some of my favorite poetry was written by Eugene Field.

Nutty Gnome, I'd have loved to hear you read it! I have just a regular mid-west USA accent. There are many beautiful hosta. This is called 'Paradigm.' It gets fairly large.

Gail said...

I couldn't make it past the first stanza out loud...let alone fast. It was so unfamiliar it did not want to trip off my tongue lightly! gail

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I tried to read it aloud fast. CAn't do it. Too much beer I guess. tee hee....

Shady Gardener said...

Gail, It's difficult!! Sorry. :-)

Lisa, I understand! (In the middle of the day? ha)

Bren Haas said...

I am back... thanks for commenting on my Tuesday Bloom. I love the heat mat idea. My plants are starters are taking their time coming up due to the cooler tempts in the room I have them in. Next year I will have my greenhouse I just won on Ebay in use - CRAZY SEED LADY I Will be ALL YEAR !

Happy Spring - Thanks again for stopping by my blog.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Bren, You are so fortunate and it will be fun to watch your progress! :-)

Kerri said...

Me thinks we need thee to translate :) I don't blame the poor lad for throwing 'imself into the sea! (the only easy line) :)
I love that hosta!
Happy April Fool's Day!

Iowa Victory Gardener said...

Hi Shady,
That was a challenging one to read! Very much like a volume of French nonsense poems I have that when read correctly, sound like Mother Goose Rhymes! I used to baffle my students (torment?) them with them by having them practice pronunciation with them, lol.

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc? De Meuse Rennes houpe! de quelles loques! Et qui rit des curés d'Oc? There's my challenge to you! :-)