Thursday, September 9, 2010

Seed Grow Project - 'Spitfire' Nasturtiums!

"I'm growing Nasturtium "Spitfire" for the Grow project. Thanks, to Renee's Garden for the seeds."

(Click the logo above to see who's posted so far this month) (Click "Renee's Garden" to visit her site)


It's time for the September Update!'
These first three photos were taken yesterday (Sept. 8, 2010).

These are the nasturtiums in the Sunny Corner Bed.
They seem to be looking a bit better.
Speaking of looking a bit better,
so do these. A bit better... ;-)


Here's a very little fellow...
(Randy... is this a Pearl Crescent?)
...on the ground next to the nasturtiums.

Here's a shot of a nasturtium with my Japanese Blood Grass.
(photo taken today)

Has this been a fun project in which to participate? Yes, of course. I may not be the best nasturtium fan . . . at least not here . . . but I must admit that the flowers are gorgeous! :-)

6 comments:

Nutty Gnome said...

I love that photo of the nasturtiums through the Japanese blood grass!

I never used to like orange flowers, but they're definitely growing on me - I think it's the 'zing' they bring to a bed:)

Randy Emmitt said...

Shady,

It is a Pearl Crescent. I don't think you are far enough west to get into the confusing crescents and checkerspots.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shady, congrats on your nasturtiums! We planted that variety, bought the seeds though, and haven't gotten any flowers. The plants don't even look very good either. Maybe not enough sun. But I love that blood grass! :-)
Frances

Rose said...

Looks like your experiment with the nasturtiums has been a success, Shady. I love nasturtiums, but mine didn't do well at all this year--I think they like more rain and less heat, neither of which happened this summer.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Liz, I really like that Japanese Blood Grass. However, they consider it slightly invasive. It helps to corral it! ;-)

Thanks, Randy! I thought I was right, but I needed your opinion!!

Hi Frances, If you check back on my last couple of posts, you'll see my nasturtiums didn't do so well, either. In fact, I did some extensive pruning last month. It seems to have helped. :-)

MrBrownThumb said...

Hey Shady, hope you get some cooler weather and your nasties bounce back.