Monday, July 18, 2011

A Peek at the Sunny Corner Bed Today

My Sunniest Spot has some of the more traditional
Bright Spot flowers!

This is what's blooming today:
 Notice the Sea Holly in the foreground.  I like this, but I think I'll need to deadhead the blossoms before the seeds form.  There are quite a number of seedlings growing from last year!


And here are a few close-ups...
This is "Joan" because my friend Joan gave it to me last Summer!

 I don't know who this is below, but do you see a
renegade "Kwanzo" in the background??

 Siloam 'Dream Baby'

An unnamed from a SE Iowa Hybrid developer

 Platycodon grandiflorus - Balloon Flower

Here's that 'Buttered Popcorn' "Exotic" again!

 Liatris in the foreground


Asclepias - Butterfly Milkweed
(Looks a little pallid these days - it's been very hot and dry!)

 'Pardon Me' Hemerocallis


'Adonis Blue' Butterfly Bush


Mattie has been blooming all Spring and Summer...
Those flower heads that dropped their flowers are getting ready for a second blush!!

Salvia  'May Night'

Russian Sage


Pentas (annual)
There you have it!  
Nothing too "Shady" in this spot.  :-)

12 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

You DO have a sunny garden! And what a pretty sunny garden!

Ellen Spector Platt said...

The sea holly that you need to deadhead makes a really nice dried indoor bouquet. Alas, you have to pick it for drying when the color is still vibrant, just when you still want it in the garden. What's a girl to do?

Rosemary said...

Fantastic sunny garden....... so much in the bed ! Looks fantastic.. great daylilies thank goodness they like heat.

Shady Gardener said...

Thanks, Tatyana.

Hi Ellen... I've suspected as much. However, the plants are So Sturdy, that a few nips here and there? (You can tell it was an "experiment," as I'd placed it in the front little bed where I could get at it! :-)

Thank you Rosemary - it's true. There's been a LOT of heat, lately!!

Kathleen said...

You sure have a lot of sun lovers packed into that bed! I think you have the best of both worlds since you have plenty of shade plus some sun. I cannot get sea holly to do much here so I'm envious. I got really excited to see your 'Adonis blue' butterfly bush too ~ I just bought one! It's tiny but now I see what (hopefully) it will mature to be...

Rose said...

I'd forgotten you had a sunny garden, Shady--lots of lovely blooms here. The daylilies are beautiful; I like to name my unnamed varieties, too:) Thanks for braving the heat and sharing this sunny spot with us.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Kathleen,

'Adonis Blue' has taken 3 years or so to get this size. I think this is its height, but it'll be fun to watch it spread!

Rose, I understand. I love my sunny front, but always wish I could spend More Time in the shade!

Tootsie said...

You have a very beautiful garden here and I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to link in with some photos...either current or past (during the dormant seasons) to Flaunt Your Flowers on Friday with me. Many absolutely gorgeous gardens participate in this party, and yours would be a welcome visit for them all to make!
I have enjoyed my visit here today... and am excited to be a new follower!!! happy gardening!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

jo said...

That is my favourite spot in your garden: I love the outlook over the lane. And the amount of colour you have in July, when our garden is green, green, green, really surprises me. You have done some beautiful companion planting.
Such a welcoming front garden for family and visitors.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Tootsie, Welcome to SE Iowa! It's nice to have you visit, and I'll soon be visiting your site. :-)

Hiya, Jo! ;-) I should take more photos from the prospective of a "driving-up-visitor"! Thanks, friend!

VW said...

Love the vivid deep pink daylilies! So eye-catching. I keep looking at sea holly and trying to decide if I have a place for it. Yours looks very nice. Good to know it reseeds if not deadheaded.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi VW, It was "disconcerting" as it grew this Spring. It had huge leaves... looked like a weed (but an unfamiliar one!), so I allowed it to grow. I'm glad I did. ha! :-)