Saturday, January 1, 2011

Garden Bloggers' Muse Day - January 2011


WINGS

The little bird sat on a slender limb,
Upward swinging,
And though wind and rain were rough with him,
Still kept singing.
"O Little bird, quick, seek out your nest!"
I could not help from calling;
"The bleak winds tear your tender breast,
Your tiny feet are falling."

"More need for song
When things go wrong,
I was not meant for crying;
No fear for me,"
He piped with glee,
"My wings were made for flying!"

My heart had been dark as the stormy sky
In my sorrow,
With the weight of troubles long passed by,

and the morrow.
"O little bird, sing!" I cried once more,
"The sun will soon be shining.
See, there's a rainbow arching o'er
The storm cloud's silver lining."

I, too, will sing
Through everything;
It will teach blessing double;
Nor yet forget.
When rude winds fret,
To fly above my trouble.

---Author Unknown


Though the garden be shady,
don't let the shade crowd out the sunshine...
or your optimism for each tomorrow!

Best wishes to you, as we now look towards every new day in 2011!


To enjoy other Muse Day posts, click the logo above to visit Carolyn Gail at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago.

17 comments:

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Divine little Cardinal bird? And appreciated the little verse on shade as it sometimes gets me down.

Happy New Year
Laura

troutbirder said...

How sweet. And Happy New Year and all the best Shady!

Rosemary said...

Shady Love the bright red colour of the cardinal in the mid of winter.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

Love the poem and pic, Shady. Happy New Year to you and yours and thanks for your many great contributions to GBMD.

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Beautiful picture! You are so lucky to have cardinals in your garden. Happy New Year to you and yours Shady! :O)

Shady Gardener said...

Enjoying January so far! Best wishes to each of you.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Lovely photo and sentiments expressed in the poem!

Happy New Year!

Nutty Gnome said...

I so wish we had cardinals over here!
Thanks for the poem Shady - it brightened my day. I'm still working out what we lost in the arson attack on the potting shed, so your poem cheered me up! :)

Rose said...

What wonderful sentiments for the coming year, Shady! May we all "fly above our troubles." Best wishes for a very Happy New Year!

D said...

SG, we wish you a healthy and happy new year and one filled with many blessings. Thank you for being a part of our 2010 and I look forward to what this year has to offer.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Sue, are you making your wish list now? :-)

NG (Liz), I just visited your site and was appalled by the news you've just shared. There is no sense in any such action. I'm so glad you were not home and are unhurt!

Hi Rose, Best wishes to you, too!

Di, Thank you so much. You are such a nice person - best wishes to you and your family in 2011! :-)

Kit Aerie-el said...

Cardinals are so stunning, especially in a wintry setting. You've captured him beautifully!
Happy New Year to you and yours.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Aerie-el! Thanks for stopping in. We often see quite a number of cardinals during the Winter! :-)

Unknown said...

Haven't been here for a while due to busy-ness (writing book and other stuff) but I'm not too late to say awesome photo and poem. Happy, happy New Year, Shady, from me up here in the windy north.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Jodi! I've not been good at visiting for a long time, either! Glad you stopped in - and thanks for the compliment! Best wishes for this 2011!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Beautiful shot, cardinals look the best in winter. Happy New Year!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi MMD! Love your photo. An occasional pirouette around the garden areas is certainly called for! ;-)