Sunday, July 29, 2012

Central Gardens, Clear Lake, Iowa

(The photo above was taken last summer)


On July 17, 2012
I visited Mom in Clear Lake, Iowa.

These are some photo highlights I took while visiting Central Gardens.
They began these gardens "from scratch" several years ago 
with advice from Reiman Gardens (Ames, IA) staff.

Central Gardens, from what I understand, is run by a huge staff of volunteers.

Enjoy!

These are some plantings inside the front gate.  I believe the hydrangea, behind the hostas, 
is the one planted last year in memory of my dad.

The garden fairy below was created two years ago from bicycle parts.
There were creations all over town made from bicycle parts,
in honor of RAGBRAI*
(Des Moines Register's-Annual-Great-Bike-Ride-Across-Iowa...

Did you finish your piano lessons?  Here's an opportunity to play in public!  :-)

 
Enjoy the next few photos!


See the "circle" in the background below?  It's a great space for public gatherings...
You can see people in the right corner - just for perspective on the distance.


 I love these sunny-looking daylilies!  
Do you know what they are??

 Ever been to Clear Lake, Iowa?  It's worth a trip!
SG

8 comments:

Larry said...

Your daylily picture made me look twice... it is very similar to one hybridized by a friend of mine... no name, just a number... I doubt that it is the same plant, but I will be including a pic of it in my next post tomorrow or the next day... neat gardens... I need to visit! Larry

Muffy's Marks said...

The garden's were a beautiful place to visit. I enjoyed each and every one of your photos. Thanks for sharing.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Larry, I'll see what you post! How fun to KNOW a hybridizer. :-)

Hi Muffy! Where do you live? Too far to travel to Clear Lake?

troutbirder said...

Hmmm very nice. I need to stop there sometime on my way West. The volunteer run garden in Dubuque is a favorite stop of our...

AshNick said...

Is there an indoor area near these gardens? My fiancé and I live in Utah but are both from Northern Iowa. We are trying to pick a place for our upcoming wedding. I love this garden but weather in Iowa is so crazy! Someone told me they built an indoor area. is this true and do you have any pictures?

Rosemary said...

Lovely locale . love the whimsy.

Shady Gardener said...

troutbirder, it's worth a stop. It's getting more mature, but there is always something new being added.

Ash/Nick, They do have an indoor building. Can I help you with this? Do you see my e-mail address?

Hi Rosemary! I love the whimsy, too. Did I EVER send you blackberry lily seeds???

Melbourne Flower delivery said...

those daylilies look fabulous, Great colour!