Sunday, July 11, 2010

Abso-bloomin-utely!

Am I proud of Mr. Shady?

Abso-bloomin-utely!

After all, this is what he did for me this weekend:

He installed the first of our (hopefully) three rain barrels!!
We'll keep the piece of downspout handy, as that will be reinserted before Winter's freezing temperatures.


It rained just a bit today (.2") and the barrel is completely full!! (The overflow pipe lowers the water level in the barrel to 50 gallons.)
Just thought you might like to know!


In February, Dave (The Home Garden) had asked us to post our wishes for this year's growing season. Click to see his post and his request.

My post contained hard scape desires. If you want to see my "wish list" posted in February, click here.

#1 has been scratched off the list in favor of a few trellises instead of a fence behind the raised beds. You can catch a glimpse of the two trellises in place so far.

Left photo, Clematis 'Niobe' (planted 3 years ago)
Right photo, Clematis 'Nelly Moser' (planted this Spring)












A peek at the back of part of the raised beds.
Can you spot the trellises here?


#2 is nearly finished. I'm adding to the length of panel #5 to accommodate the larger space at the end of the raised beds.#3 is still in the dream and design stage. I'm really FINE with waiting another year on this one (water feature).

#4 is in the waiting stage (small pergola). Other outside work needs to be accomplished first.

#5 is finished. The garden boxes are in place and lined with black landscaping fabric. (See the final photo above.) It's been too wet so far this year to be able to obtain a load of dirt. The suppliers cannot get to it.

#6 is unnecessary (play house). A cute idea, but at this point in time, unnecessary. :-)

I'm a happy gardener!
Enjoy your Sunday!

14 comments:

Randy Emmitt said...

Shady,
Once that rain barrel is wmpty again you might want to raise it up on concrete blocks so you can use it with a hose. Ours are all on 2 ft stands so the hose works.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Great job Mr. Shady! At some point I'd love to get rain barrels in here, just seems like there's always something else that has to be done first. How great that you've gotten so much done on your wish list! I really love those panels!

Northern Shade said...

Isn't it satisfying to be checking things off on your list? Your rain barrel is a great idea. That Hosta must be glad that it got a prime spot next to the barrel. :) I like the trellises behind your raised beds. They will make a green backdrop for the beds, plus you get to see pretty clematis flowers.

Kathleen said...

I am SO in love with your panels. I think they really set everything else off. The best idea/addition ever!
Great job on getting the rain barrels installed. I would love to put in a couple here but am worried about having another "job" to do and how easy it is to accomplish?? I need my own Mr Shady I guess!!
I'm so glad your filipendula did well even if you didn't photograph it perfectly. It's such a beautiful plant ~ I'm glad it's growing in another little nook of the world.
btw, you asked about my four o'clocks ~ I fertilize everything. Some years better than others but usually at least once a week.

troutbirder said...

Neat projects. Mr Shady's prairie is FANTASTIC. I went down to Lake Louise State Park yesterday (just north of Lime Springs Iowa near LeRoy Minn.) and the butterfly weed on the prairie was the best ever!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Randy, I understand what you're getting at, however our property is the downslope of a hill. That means that the backyard gardens are lower than the house, so I think we'll be okay. We'll see when I start using the water! If our property were flat, we'd Definitely have done it differently! :-) Thanks!!

Catherine, Thanks for your visit and comments! I'd been wishing for barrels for quite some time (our son has had them for 4-5 years). I happened to find the barrels at a nearby cheese factory. If you make your own from plastic barrels, they must be food-safe. (Thanks! I designed the panels and that makes them special to me!) :-)

Northern Shade, It is a wonderful relief to be able to be finishing some of "those projects!" I'm glad you're voting on the trellises.

Kathleen, You just made my day! Did you know I designed the panels as well as built them? I have to make the last one a little longer... so I'm not sure when it will be finished. ha.

I'm so happy that my rain barrels are being invented. He's also working on designing a compost tumbler out of my 4th barrel which is blue.

It's nice to have a (RETIRED!) Mr. Shady around the house. ;-)

Do you realize I've not watered anything again this year, yet? (Besides potted flowers twice.) It rains! I occasionally run around, sprinkling slow-release fertilizer all over. ha.

Hi Troutbirder, So, the projects are all okay? :-) I know you were a little overwhelmed with my list... it really was a little overwhelming until I scratched a couple items off. ha.

Yes, Mr.S's prairie is great! You'd love to visit. He has now begun Butterfly Milkweed seedlings with the hopes of having an increased population out there! You make me curious to visit the prairies you name. I plan to visit my parents soon...

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

3 cheers for Mr. Shady! You've been a busy bee and your yard is looking quite fab. :)

Rosemary said...

Wow, what a great Mr Shady .. your garden is so impressive.. When is the garden tour? If I lived closer I would so be there.

Chloe m said...

You are going to love that rain barrel. I am sure you will think of your handy husband everytime you use it. My handy husband helped me put ours up. He also fixed it when I left it out too long in the season and it cracked from ice!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Kate! You are very sweet - thank you! :-)

Rosemary! The official tour has come and gone, but YOU could come anytime... too bad you don't live closer!!

Rosey, Not only is your husband handy but he must be very understanding! :-) Here's hoping I don't do the same thing!) But if I do, I'll know who to ask for help!!

Pat said...

Love the fence !
Very artsy Shady.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Hello! I just spent some time touring your garden. Love what I see. I'm really glad to see you have a rain barrel!! I have 3 in a chain. But, they are dry right now as we haven't had rain in a while and I used every drop. Hope you get more to complete your wish list!!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Patsi! I'm hugging that compliment because I created the design/panels myself! (I'm sure the design is no unique, though.) Thanks!

Gardener, Thank you for touring and leaving a note. :-) We have two more barrels that are waiting to be created into rain barrels. Wait until you see what Mr. Shady has just created with the fourth barrel!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the rain barrel. They are easy to setup and once you have one you wonder how you made it without one. We'll see how long it takes before you add another.