Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chortle, Chuckle, Gasp! Ha! Too Much Fun!

Perhaps you'll remember my Gardener Gladys and/or Susan Scare-the-crow (you can search for either one of my garden helpers at the top of this blog). In the photo below, you'll see Susan. She hangs around in the raised-bed flower gardens all summer... consequently, she's earned a her retirement. The fellow/gal on her right will possibly be her replacement. I'm working on creating two new heads, at this time.

This head hasn't changed since the first session...

... but I've been working on the second head a lot! Pucker up! ha!

I have some ambitious gardening friends (we have our own little garden club), that thought they'd like to try making a "---" Scare-the-birds, too. So, here we are! We've had two sessions... and will have another in January. Check it out. It's a hoot! ::-))


"Thoroughly Moderne Mona" (in the purple) visited our first session. Mona was created a couple of years ago for a local contest in creating a Mona Lisa look-alike. She remains in my home, but I'm really not sure what to do with her!

This is Nancee's accomplishment after her first session ... ... and this is what her "---" Scare-the-birds looks like after two sessions!

June's "Grinch" is the result of two sessions... we laugh, but it will be fine!

Bekkie's nearing the end of her second session...

This is Carrie's face at the end of session one ...

...and here she is at the end of session two!
Cindee's only had one session. I hope she's able to join us in January!!
(I see real potential, don't you??)

We're having a fun time! For some of us, it's hard to envision the finished product. Quite honestly, as they evolve they sometimes just take on a life of their own! And Actually - that's most of the fun, as far as I'm concerned! :-)

In the meantime, we're chortling, chuckling, gasping, laughing, and having WAY too much fun! :-)

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably a wee bit of gossiping going on too, right? LOL I'm telling you shady, your TT Mona is so lifelike! Before I read your copy I looked at her and thought, wow she looks like Mona Lisa. And sure enough. Amazing. Talk about talent.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Grace, Lots of chatting! ;-) Thanks for the compliment. Re: Mona? She's a bit too lifelike to have just sitting around here... she takes people aback. So, I'm not sure what to do with her. ha. Funny problem.

bobbie said...

So creative! And fun! Wish I could join you.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Never seen anything like that! Very interesting!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These figures are adorable. It looks like such fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shady, that does look like so much fun! Mona is extraordinary, do you have a porch with a chair she could occupy? Can she be outside like that? She must be like an old friend now, do you talk to her? I would! HA :-)

Frances

Gail said...

Shady, I want to live in your neighborhood! What a lot of fun you and your friends have. My only crafty friends lives over the mountain in East Tennessee or up the interstate almost in Illinois! Too far to just hang out! I do love these doll faces! gail

Rosemary said...

Shady What a fantastic craft... I can hear the laughter from here.. what a fun group this must be..

Shady Gardener said...

Hi everyone! I just had to share this with you! :-)

Bobbie, We'd love having you with us!

Tatyana, Thanks for your visit! Looking at your profile... where in the Midwest were you before you moved to the Northwest?

Thanks, Lisa. It's a little frustrating when you're a beginner... but they will all turn out! ;-)

Francis, I've really not taken Mona outdoors... Over time, rain causes mildew. She has been at the foot of the stairs to our basement, but I found out that she causes my son-in-law a "double-take" every time he goes downstairs! ha. She's now sitting in the back porch. I don't want to Scare people!

Yeah, Gladys and I especially have had great conversations! lol.

Hi Gail - move to Iowa! Sounds like a great idea to me! ;-)

Rosemary, We are a fun group! Good friends! :-)

Kathleen said...

I love get togethers like these although I've never made anything like your faces. It looks like tons of fun for socializing and craftiness. You know I like anything creative! Lots of great faces going ~ can't wait to see your finished one.

joey said...

"Thoroughly Moderne Mona"is a true beauty, Shady. I'm most impressed with your talents! What a delightful group 'girlfriend' project ...

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Wow, you all are so talented! This has to be the most fun you can have with pantyhose. What a great group to have for winter projects.

Chloe m said...

That is impressive! I knew pantyhose were good for something besides squeezing my tummy till I pass out.

D said...

These are fantastic! I am awestruck, laughing, enjoying your wonderful creativity... so much fun.

Kate/High Altitude Gardening said...

What fun! Thoroughly Modern Mona is a hoot! :)

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Amazing what you can do with a stocking! How fun!

troutbirder said...

Well gasp, I had a few good chuckles at those faces, but it been quite a while since so many chortles came bubbling out! :)

Shady Gardener said...

Kathleen, You would love this! :-)

Hi Joey... it's such a fun project. I've done this type of thing for Many Years! We probably should have begun with ladies' tights...

MMD - It's a riot. Some people were feeling a little intimidated, but one can't waste time doing that! ;-)

Personally, I'm really excited to see your sculpture next Spring!

Rosey, Please don't pass out! lol!
You might like doing something like this, too. :-)

Di, It sounds as though you'd better get out a pair of pantyhose and some scissors! Actually, it probably would have been better had we begun with ladies' tights! They don't "run" as easily and are a little "tougher!" Thanks for visiting, today!

Hi Kate! Glad you like Mona! She's actually pretty tame compared to the other gardening gals. They're go-getters! ;-)

Hi Jackie! I'll post again soon. You'll be even more surprised! :-)

Oh, Mr. Troutbirder! This is something female gardeners do if they're needing some entertainment! ha. Suppose Mrs. T would be interested??

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

How fun! They sure do take on a life of their own. When I first saw Mona I thought she was a person :)

Shady Gardener said...

Catherine, Flattery will get you somewhere! ha. ;-) It will be fun to post when some of them get a little more complete!

Rose said...

This looks like so much fun, Shady! I didn't know you were so talented an artist, too. I like Frances' idea of setting Mona on the front porch--she would certainly get some looks from passersby:)

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Rose! Mona has garnered many double-takes in her day! When I took her downtown for the contest, I left her in the car for a moment. When I returned, there were a couple of passersby that were enjoying themselves! ;-)

lynn'sgarden said...

Shady, I find this craft fascinating! It takes skills..me thinks..to create a face that looks almost human...but still so whimsical! Thanks for sharing ;)
Lynn

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Lynn~ Thanks for visiting. It does take a little repetition, too. I hope my friends don't get discouraged. :-)