Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Are You Ready for a Merry Christmas?

I must explain that I have always Loved a number of poems by Eugene Field (1850 - 1895). The following is one of them... I hope you enjoy it as much as I have (since I was old enough to read!).



JEST 'FORE CHRISTMAS

Father calls me William, sister calls me Will,
Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill!
Mighty glad I ain't a girl --- ruther be a boy,
Without them sashes, curls, an' things that's worn by Fauntleroy!
Love to chawnk green apples an' go swimmin' in the lake---
Hate to take the caster-ile they give for bellyache!
'Most all the time, the whole year round, there ain't no flies on me,
But jest 'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be!

Got a yeller dog names Sport, sick him on the cat;
First thing she knows she doesn't know where she is at!
Got a clipper sled, an' when us kids goes out to slide,
'Long comes the grocery cart, an' we all hook a ride!
But sometimes when the grocery man is worited an' cross,
He reaches at us with his whip, an' larrups up his hoss,
An' then I laff an' holler, "Oh, ye never teched me!"
But jest'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be!

Gran'ma says she hopes that when I git to be a man,
I'll be a missionarer like her oldest brother, Dan,
As was et up by the cannibuls that lives in Ceylon's Isle,
Where every prospeck pleases, an' only man is vile!
But gran'ma she has never been to see a Wild West show,
Nor read the Life of Daniel Boone, or else I guess she'd know
That Buff'lo Bill an' cowboys is good enough for me!
Except' jest 'fore Christmas, when I'm as good as I kin be!

An then old Sport he hangs around, so solemnlike an' still,
His eyes they seem a-sayin': "What's the matter, little Bill?"
The old cat sneaks down off her perch an' wonders what's become
Of them two enemies of hern that used to make things hum!
But I am so perlite an' tend so earnestly to biz,
That mother says to father: "How improved our Willie is!"
But father, havin' been a boy hissself, suspicions me
When, juest 'fore Christmas, I'm as good as I kin be!

For Christmas, with its lots an' lots of candies, cakes, an' toys,
Was made, they say, for proper kids an' not for naughty boys;
So wash yer face an' bresh yer hair, an' mind yer p's and q's,
Say "Yessum" to the ladies, and "Yessur" to the men,
An' when they's company, don't pass yer plate for pie again;
But, thinkin' of the things yer'd like to see upon that tree,
Jest 'fore Christmas be as good as yer kin be!


13 comments:

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

We're trying to be good around here :) Almost ready for Christmas, but there always seems to be things left to the last minute.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Rosemary said...

Cute poem . Ready here just last minute food prep.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

bobbie said...

I remember this one. (My brother's name was Bill.)

Happy Christmas!

Nutty Gnome said...

What a lovely poem ...it reminds me of my brother when we were little! ;)
Have a wonderful, joyous Christmas Shady and I'll see you in the new year!

Gail said...

Shady, I've been a very good gardener this year~~Not perfect...there are still plants to plant and leaves to rake! Am I ready for Christmas? Not sure...must get check my own list a few more times! Have a wonderful holiday! xxgail

Monica the Garden Faerie said...

I'm ready for Christmas all year long! :) Have a good one.

Pat said...

Best wishes Shady.
I'll be working but will try and make the best of it.

Shady Gardener said...

Thanks all! Merry Christmas!

Catherine, I can't believe there'd be anything but Goodness over your way!

Rosemary, I've been watching all that food preparation you've been doing! Yum! :-)

Bobbie, Then the poem was more meaningful for you. ha.

Nutty Gnome, Thanks for your visit. (I have TWO of those brothers!) ;-)

Hi Gail, I KNOW you've been a great gardener! Hope you can relax and enjoy your celebrations. I've just mailed the third package to our son's family today...

Monica! I believe it. ha! :-)

Patsi, I'll think of you. Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

According to my longsuffering spouse, I'm always bad. To the cats, I'm always good. To the garden...no comment. Here's wishing you a happy Christmas across the miles!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

What a sweet poem! Merry Christmas! The rain stopped before it got below 30ish, so the streets didn't get too slick. We're still supposed to get 6 to 12 inches of snow by Friday. It's coming your way, isn't it? Has the drizzle started there?

João Soares said...

Shady, nice bird gnomes in your garden! Happy Xmas! Greetings from Portugal

Kathleen said...

That is a great poem ~ I've never read it or heard of it before. I love how the threat of no toys or presents works wonders this time of year! ha. Merry Christmas to you and your family Shady Gardener. I hope it's a good one for you.

Shady Gardener said...

Jodi, I love your photo id. :-) I won't say anything except that I KNOW you're a great gardener!

Hi Sue, It rained all day yesterday... yep, the forecast isn't so great, but it'll pass...

Hello Joao, Thank you for your visit.

Merry Christmas, Kathleen! Have a wonderful celebration. (You should look up this poet. I'll be sharing more from him from time-to-time.) ;-)