Sunday, October 14, 2007

Fall Busy-ness!

So far I've planted 60 daffodil bulbs, with another 60 to go! I've been anxious to try Fritillaria meleagris ("snake's head fritillaria") and I found some bulbs at a great nursery west of Cedar Rapids yesterday (Saturday).
I received the following information about fritillaria meleagris on-line:

This is a Mediterranean species and you’ll find it will grow in a dampish area.

The flower stem holding purple or white flowers will reach to 8 to 10 inches.

Plant the base of the bulb to 3 to 5 inches deep and put these smallish bulbs 2 to 3 inches apart for the best show. Bob, of Bob's Garden, tells me to angle the bulbs at a 45 degree angle when I plant them, so they won't hold moisture and rot. Great clue!! (Thanks!)

They will take full sun and light shade so they perform very well in rock gardens as well as on the edges underneath shrubs and trees. Here's some captivating information: They are interesting bulbs to grow but don’t grow them for their fragrance. Mostly they smell like rotting meat with a touch of old-egg thrown in for good measure. Doesn't that sound enticing? ;-)

They do tend to like somewhat acidic gardens so peat moss can be added before planting. After planting, a little can be gently cultivated between bulbs but do not disturb the bulb if possible. Like most fritillaria, they do resent being moved once established.

Good tips, don't you think? They should be fun to see next Spring!

3 comments:

Andrea Dellit said...

that's a lot of bulbs...glad you mentioned it though, I have several to plant myself!

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Happy bulb planting! I only planted about 10 lily bulbs this year, not really sure why, usually I plant many more than that.

Shady Gardener said...

Yes, it's a lot of bulbs... but I'd
felt the need for them last Spring, so I'm trying to make sure I won't be at a loss this coming Spring.