Sunday, October 28, 2007

More Anglewings!

You must get excited about today's discovery!
Early this afternoon, as I was headed 'round the corner of the house for the compost pile with a load of nice, healthy (soon to expire) coleus and my compost container from the kitchen counter, I was surprised by a sudden flurry of wings. I quickly recognized anglewing butterflies... and assumed it was another batch of Question Marks.

Wrong! This time I had encountered a myriad of Commas. They're noticeably smaller than Question Marks. Check out the October 2, 2007 post entitled "Ah Anglewings" .

You will probably first notice the angled tan/brown wings
of the Comma in the center of the photo below.
But, look closely!
The one just to the right of the tan butterfly is Very Well camouflaged.
It's nearly the color of the tree bark.

(You might want to click on the photo to get a closer view.)
Looking again at the butterflies above, do you see the metallic "comma" on the underwing?

How about this colorful shot?

And, here's a perspective as to the size of the butterfly.

They were hanging around this oak tree due to sap that was leaking.
(I'm going to check with the biologist at the Extension Office about that!)

Red Admirals like sweet stuff, too!
(and green bottle flies and Asian ladybird beetles)

Just one more item showing its fall colors.
Now... That's Shady!
(And I don't mean to imply that just because it's in the shade!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you got some great shots there. I almost couldn't see the one that blended in with the bark.

Shady Gardener said...

Beautiful, aren't they? I've posted some photos at Bug Guide (see my links) to see if anyone can tell me what type of comma the dark one is. Thanks for visiting.

MrBrownThumb said...

Hey Shady,

I'll have to check out that link and see what the consensus is. Btw I'm the crazy one who voted for winter in your poll above. :0)

Shady Gardener said...

I love Winter, too... it's just that most of the time, I like to watch from indoors! Especially the snowfall. ;-)

However, I do love to make snowmen, etc. when the temperature is warm enough and the weather is right!