Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Just a Little More Fall Raking

Using My Favorite "Machinery!"

When I got up this morning, I found a nice-sized pile of leaves next to the driveway. So, I laid out a tarp, carried my shredder from the garage and proceeded to work them over! They were wet, so I adjusted the shredder to "coarse, wet leaves." Coarsely ground leaves is what you get. The pile on the right is the aftermath.To give you an idea of what the pile of leaves may have looked like prior the its shredding, I filled my green leaf-holder and made another pile of shredded leaves (below, on the left).
It may be hard to see, but the second pile is much smaller than the first... perhaps 1/3 the size.

It was inevitable (actually, it was my intent) that I de-leaf the front yard. It didn't take long.
I hoisted my leaf-gatherer, for lack of a better name, from the hooks on the garage wall and proceeded to harvest leaves. As each load was brought to the tarp, I turned on the shredder, picked up some leaves and dumped them in.

Here's the finished yard and its shredded leaves on the right!
Wet leaves are heavier, of course, than leaves "fresh off the tree," but shredding means about 3 to 4 fewer trips to the ravine. I'm waiting until this afternoon before I drag the tarp through the backyard. I want to allow opportunity for the leaves to dry a bit, perhaps lightening the load!

There's very little, if any, breeze this morning... in this shady, but getting sunnier, yard. By the time I return around 2:00 p.m., from a trip downtown, you can envision this nice tarpload of shredded leaves beginning to compost!

2 comments:

Connie said...

I am thinking of getting an electric shredder....What make is yours and are you happy with it?

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Connie,
It's by Flowtron, The Ultimate Mulcher 8 Amp Electric Leaf Shredder.
I purchased it from a Garden Supply company, but I noticed Amazon.com has them on sale. I'm very happy with it. Because it operates with plastic whips that rotate very quickly sticks will break them off faster than if only leaves go through.
It's also pretty noisy. Just wear earplugs.

If you look on Amazon and scroll down, you'll eventually find an Agri-Fab 26" Push Lawn Sweeper.
I like both items!

If you go to my October postings, click on "Just a Little Peek at Fall Front-Yard Maintenance" :-)