Thursday, November 29, 2007

My Muscari Bulbs Are in the Ground!

I really thought this seemed an ingenious idea, but it didn't work as well as my shovel. Oh, well. Perhaps I'll give it a little more thought... any helpful hints? :-)
I just received a bit of static about using the drill bit for that purpose. I may have dulled it. I only drilled about 6 holes before I gave up, though. Every time I lifted the bit out of the hole, the dirt fell back in.

FYI: It was 20 degrees this morning at 7:30 a.m. I waited until about 9:00 a.m. to head outdoors. It was actually very nice. I wish I'd had more bulbs! I'm already envisioning how beautiful that little easterly bed will be in the Spring. Perhaps I'll find a few more bulbs, yet!

I'm headed "to town" with a friend tomorrow (in other words, to a larger metropolitan area) where I actually might find a few last-minute things I need. ;-)

4 comments:

MrBrownThumb said...

I want to plant muscari but the thought of digging all of those little holes with a drill keeps me from doing it.


I wish I had known about them before I started planting my garden it would have been easier to set up an area for them.

Shady Gardener said...

It's really not hard to put them "just anywhere." :-)

Last year I planted a good number of them in the lawn! In a place where the grass is a little more slow growing. It was fun then, this past Spring, to see them in unexpected places. Leaving the foliage until the grass was long enough to mow worked well, also. (I used a dandelion digger to plant them.)

2greenthumbsup said...

Unless you were hitting a lot of stones/rocks, I doubt that you've damaged that spade bit too badly with so few holes. On the other hand, you could simply claim that bit as your own now. Put a little green painter's tape on it for identification purposes and only use it in the garden from this point on. It's certainly one way to start a tool collection!

Shady Gardener said...

Great idea! ha. (The drill is mine. I have my own palm sander, screw drivers, pliers... I'm getting a "collection.") :-)