Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Geography Project

Join now!

Jodi, at Bloomingwriter, has encouraged people to share where they are located.
So, here's where I'm located.

I live Jefferson County in SE Iowa.
There's lots of history here.
There are also many new and innovative activities being pursued.

This is where you'll find information about the Jefferson County Park System.
And much more. Look at the tabs on the bottom of the page.
Check out the newsletter, education programs, etc.

We have a variety of activities in the Central Park in the summertime.
Often there are live bands on Saturday nights.
Local Municipal band performances on Tuesday nights
(community members conducted by our high school band director.)
First Friday Art Walk around downtown businesses, often with evening entertainment.

As far as the landscape, it ranges from some flat,
a lot of gently rolling,to much very hilly land.
There are many farms.

There is also plenty of forested land.
Can you spot the deer in the field?CRP plays a big role in prairie and wetland restoration areas.

There are very few straight roads.
We moved here 28 1/2 years ago, and
I can still get quite lost on gravel roads
if I don't take a County map! :-)

We deal with a lot of heavy clay soil.
If I continue to live and garden here, I'll be jumping on a shovel -
just to get it in the ground - forever!
That is NO exaggeration.

So, if you're going to garden - get some good dirt, dig it in a bit,
to mix it with the clay soil, but...
the best thing I've found is to make mounded beds!
They're great for drainage (at which clay soil is lousy)
and they're beautiful and interesting!

My wheelbarrow is never far away! :-)
And compost, compost, compost
and amend, amend, amend!

12 comments:

Kylee Baumle said...

Hey! I know EXACTLY what you mean when you said you jump on shovels! Is there any other way to use a shovel? LOL.

You've got a lot of variety there. In landscape and attractions. It's fun getting to see where we all live and play, isn't it? :-)

Unknown said...

Such lovely countryside--another spot I knew absolutely nothing about! It's so wonderful to have so many distinctive regions and gardeners taking part in this! Thank you for joining in the fun!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

What a bucolic place to live! There's something so calming about open natural spaces. (Even if there are deer in them.)

Anonymous said...

Love your post about your country- side. Interesting to read how other gardeners live and garden.
cheers Gisela
http://guildwood.blogspot.com

Weeping Sore said...

Hi,
I've got a similar problem with my soil. Rather than clay, it's decomposing granite rock - not the best drainage. Your no-dig gardening technique also works for me, although it took me years to figure that out.

Shady Gardener said...

Kylee, Would you believe it? At my son's place in central Michigan, I can dig in the ground with my hand??? They have a lot of sand. And they must amend their soil, too. So the water doesn't just drain away!

Thanks Jodi, it's fun to "travel 'round," isn't it?

MMD, Ah... bucolic. Great word. Sometimes, though, one feels like "bustling." That's when you leave to visit somewhere else. ;-)

Gisella GR,
I'll be over soon. You're right. It is interesting. :-)

Weeping,
I know. It's all about time + experience + necessity. (And helpful friends!)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like the tour of your area. The picture of those rolling hills is so pretty. I understand your clay soil from dealing with it where I used to live. I have sandy soil now.

Shady Gardener said...

Lisa,
So... which is better? I would think extremely sandy soil would be quite the challenge also!

Curmudgeon said...

Enjoyed reading your GBGP. It's interesting to learn about the soil conditions there. I lived in the northern part of Iowa, in Winneshiek county, for a year. Didn't have very good luck in the garden--except for the rhubarb!

Shady Gardener said...

Weed Whackin'
I'm ready to visit you asap. Did you Love rhubarb? Northern Iowa is very diverse. In this yard, I've been unable to grow rhubarb - as yet. This year I'm going to stick a plant "out front" in a flower bed! :-)

Kerri said...

It looks like beautiful countryside there. We gardened in Sandy soil while living in Australia. Our soil here is clay in some areas and it seems easier to amend than the sand, but I don't think it's terribly heavy clay. We don't have to jump on the shovel :)
The GBGP has been fun and I've enjoyed learning a little about so many different places. Thanks for sharing your little corner.

Shady Gardener said...

Kerri,
Thanks for visiting. Our community is quite diverse. I should share more someday. You're right, though. GBGP has been fun!