Friday, January 4, 2008

2008 - A Year of Surprises!

I firmly believe that this year is going to be a Great One! Not only do I believe it's a year of Possibility and Promise, but it's begun as A Year of Pleasant Surprises!! :-)

I must tell you that I only just joined Project Feederwatch... a little late. My thoughts, as I submitted my first two-day bird sighting results the evening before, were that I could probably list all the different varieties I'd be submitting each week "by heart." I could only hope that perhaps the numbers of each would increase. (They seem to be.)

So... yesterday morning (Thurs., January 3), as I walked by the basement window, I glanced out at the bird feeder "station." That in itself is not unusual. However, what I saw out there Was! I did a double-take. Actually, I think it was a triple-take! ;-)

I saw an Eastern Rufous-sided Towhee! It IS a Year of Pleasant Surprises!!! I have Never seen one before. An illustration of the bird was on the poster that I'd been sent. I went from basement to upstairs in a breath and was holding my Peterson's guide before my next breath had been taken! (That's fast, folks!)

I had seen the male. As I stood before the window, it flew from the feeder to the yew just next to the window. The birdbook tells me it likes wooded areas (which we have) and brushy areas... we have that, as well.

Here's a great site, gardenauthor, I know you will enjoy! Once you leave this page, click on the title for the homepage to enjoy the other postings! The bird song is supposed to sound like "Drink your teeee." (A fact I was delighted to read, as I'm a tea drinker!)

Of course, I didn't have my camera, so you'll have to take my word for it. Please.

I may be the "Shady Gardener," but I always tell the truth! :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shady Gardener,
Just found your comment re: Towhees. This was only my second siting - first with the female, as well. I'm up the hill from a large swamp, with lots of trees, shrubs, brush and cover...consequently, lots of birds and wildlife. Not my photo - it is accredited (bugwood.org), beneath the photos. Actually, I'm a garden writer, without a camera (yet). Fortunately, I have several photographer friends who generously supply me with photos (I maintain another blog for the shutterbug on knights pond). I enjoyed your writing and photos on all your blogs... kindred garden and wildlife spirits, indeed! Thanks for your kind comments - it was a nice surprise, in the midst of a rather hectic time. I'll stop by often. And yes, feel free to link back to anything I post (lots of archived garden & nature topics), or just to my blog. May I post you on my 'Favorite Links?'
Enjoyed your 'sidebar' photos, also!........ Deb

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Be careful, you might wind up a birding fanatic. :-D Lest you think this is harmless, let me relate a cautionary tale. My old boss was very into birding, so much so that he ended up taking his vacations as birding trips, including a couple weeks spent in an Inuit village, a trek in the Costa Rican rainforest & a trip to Antartica. Congratulations on your Towhee sighting!

Shady Gardener said...

Garden Author,
So glad you visited! I'll revise my posting right now to include your towhee page. :-) And of course you can link to me. I'm flattered.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter,
I enjoy your visits! I think I'm actually "hooked" with birdwatching! I doubt I'll take exotic vacations for that reason, but those sounded intriguing (for any reason at all!) However I've always thought it would be fun to visit the Galapagos Islands! ;-)