Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Mom has a Very Green Thumb!

Last weekend I traveled 4 hours north of here (Clear Lake, Iowa), where it was suitably more cold and wintery, to visit my parents for a couple of days. This next photo shows one sight I relished! Walking into their little sun room where, no matter the temperature outdoors, I found it was certainly balmy indoors! Thought I'd share this pleasurable sight. :-)


Now. Wasn't that satisfying? ;-) Pull up a chair and enjoy a nice warm cup of tea, cocoa, or chai. Put your feet up and smile at that fella across the room. This is a little slice of heaven.

6 comments:

Connie said...

A wonderful collection of African violets! I currently only have one plant and it is not in bloom at the moment.
I've enjoyed browsing some of your older posts....you have a lot growing indoors! It will be nice when we can plant outdoors....this part of the winter gets long for me.

Shady Gardener said...

Now I have a lot indoors! And soon my hibiscus will be blooming!! ;-)
Do you wait until spring to plant, or do start plants earlier? I'm thinking I'd like to try wintersowing as described on Our Little Acre (Jan. 12).

I enjoy vising your site, also!

Dirty Fingernails said...

I just love violets!!! They are my birthday month flower.. What cheery faces they have!!! I am jealous you got to see some!

Shady Gardener said...

Both my son and son-in-law have birthdays very soon! (Jan. 27 and 28). I didn't realize violets were the birthday flower for this time of year. Very appropriate, I think! :-)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a beautiful collection. I just love AV's but they don't do well for me. My MIL grows them. So cheerful during winter.

Shady Gardener said...

They are beautiful and I admire them. I've not had much luck with them, but perhaps I'll try again. (I always hope some of the green has rubbed off my mom's thumb - onto mine!) ;-)