Thursday, January 24, 2008

at 9:00 A.M. it was - 10 degrees Farenheit

Brrrrr! The birds are gathering at the birdfeeders. (Actually today is a sunny day, but these photos were taken yesterday when it was not sunny.)

Wait a minute! Did I hear the doorbell?
Or perhaps a timid knock?

Maybe it was Mr. Tufted Titmouse. Actually, there are two of them!
Do you call them "a pair" or "Tufted Titmice? ;-)

Here's a Redbellied Woodpecker and a Blue Jay
with a Nuthatch on the suet feeder.

A little flurry of activity. ;-) On the feeder we see
a Black-capped Chickadee, a Red Breasted Nuthatch, a male Cardinal
with (I think) a female that's looking at the incoming,
late-braking sparrow!
One last look around shows the feeder and the ground covered by Cardinals.
I think I see four in the saucer and another several on the ground.
Sorry for the poor quality of the photograph.
You know... I was sure I only turned my back for a moment.
But there's an awful racket in the other room!
So, which one knocked on the door?
ha.

If I could get some closer photos, I might post them later.
(And if someone would please turn that Jade plant around.)
Have a good day! :-)

7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh the weather outside is frightful... Your jade plant is delightful. Good question about the Titmouses or Titmice. ??

Shady Gardener said...

You are too cute! Thanks for letting me know you were here, Lisa! I don't know... could they be "Titmeece?" ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Shady Gardener,

According to Encyclopedia Britannica the plural form is 'titmouses'. Who'd a thunk it?

Just wanted to say thank you for thinking of me - I entered one of my hoarfrost photos in the contest at simplegiftsfarm.com. There have been many gorgeous photos entered!

Cathy

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for looking it up! :-) Titmouses...it feels a little awkward saying it that way.

Keep me posted on the contest! :-)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

This cold is hard on the critters. It's great that you take care of yours with that healthy food. The cold has brought a deer to my front yard, or should I say to the Yew hedge.

Shady Gardener said...

MMD, Whoa! I guess I had you "pegged" for being in the north side of Chicago, somewhere. (Not that deer can't reside there, I guess.) Do they bother you during the Spring-Fall months?

My neighbors see them all around... but somehow, generally, we don't see them in our yard. Their trail is on the other side of the ravine in the back. I feel a little nervous about discussing it too much. My hope is that they don't stray into "my territory." ;-)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I'm in the collar counties - suburbia. There are neighborhoods around here that have such serious deer depredation that people have given up growing Hostas. Those neighborhoods usually border forest preserve land. Deer are not normally regular visitors here, so they usually aren't a problem if I use the deer repellent. I intend to rip out that hedge anyway, so I really don't care if the deer munch on it.