Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"The Things That Are More Excellent"

These photos were taken between 5:09 - 5:11 p.m. on January 9, 2008.

It's amazing how quickly the sunset fades... but wasn't it gorgeous?
During seasons when leaves are on the trees, we don't get to enjoy them this way!





"In faultless rhythm the ocean rolls,
A rapturous silence thrills the skies;
And on this earth are lovely souls,
That softly look with aidful eyes.
Though dark, O God, Thy course and track,
I think Thou must at least have meant
That nought which lives should wholly lack
The things that are more excellent.

exerpt from "The Things That Are More Excellent"
from The Poems of William Watson.

7 comments:

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Lovely photos! You managed to capture those subtle sunset colors wonderfully.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi! It's amazing, isn't it? My "regular" camera never could quite do it!

So, are you preparing for more Winter weather tonight or tomorrow?? Did you get any more mulching accomplished? (What were you using?)

Thanks for stopping. :-)

Kylee Baumle said...

Oh how pretty!!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I did get some more shredded leaves down on the garden, but then I ran out of nearby bags of leaves & got too cold. I'll have to drag the remaining bag around back today to finish. It's mostly done, though.

Shady Gardener said...

Good for you! I was so intent on getting rid of my leaves last Fall that I didn't think of saving some of them! (Many have blown off the beds and littered the yard, which is why I must rake!) Do you cover your leaves?

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Great sunset photos!

Shady Gardener said...

Thank you. It's a compliment I'm relishing when I see the quality of your photos and of others that have visited! :-)