Sunday, March 16, 2008

Green Thumb Sunday

Green Thumbs Untie!

I know. It looks like a typo.
I was going to entitle this "Green Thumbs Unite!"
But, we've already done that! :-)

So, I thought "Untie" might be more interesting.

How about:

Untie those old garden shoelaces and dust off those dirty, old garden shoes.
Untie and (if you haven't already done so) wash those dirty gloves from last Fall.
Untie the key from the garden shed.
Untie
the garden tools from their various Winter resting places.
Untie the twine from around the garage garden hose, stretch it out and put it back in its normal resting place.
Untie the reusable yard waste bag and get it ready for its re-use!
Untie unnecessary upcoming time constraints.
Untie and loosen those tight threads of anticipation,
and Let the First Attempts Begin!
(Any more untie ideas out there?) :-)


This is the center of the flower bed in front of the house.
The big bird feeder with the saucer sled is mounted to a pipe that stands in the tree stump in this photo.
Notice about an inch or so of seed debris and bird doo-doo.
I've been eyeing this bed for the past week.
I know there are little bulbs under there, somewhere.
I also know that I put about 2 inches of mulch (oak leaves) over this entire bed last Fall.

Soooo, although it's plenty early... I did some raking today.
Yes, this is a snow shovel and a tiny plastic rake for under bushes.
They made a good pair.

I was right! Look what I found!
Crocuses and...? We'll see.

Doesn't it look so much better?

Boy that wet stuff is heavy!
I could hardy drag the bag to the driveway (about 5 feet). ;-)
If we have a cold forecast, I'll have to head out here with a tarp.
Otherwise, let 'em bloom! :-)

Definitely Not a Shady Subject!!!

13 comments:

Rurality said...

They were just being shy! :)

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Rurality!
That could be part of it. ;-) Thanks for stopping.

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

How about.. untie that string from around that branch, before the bark eats it up! I just found 2 strings around my pyracantha that was swallowed up by its bark. Those strings were meant to hold up the plant 4 years ago, and I forgot all about them.

Shady Gardener said...

Salix tree,
Thanks for adding to my list. Yours is an unusual (but understandable) one! ;-) I've just returned from your site. You have some lovely color combinations.

The Diva said...

Really good idea for a post. Everyone untie!!~~Dee

Shady Gardener said...

Thanks, Dee. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Untie the hands of Spring, so she can help us give winter "the bum's rush!"
That's if she arrives, on Thursday.

Shady - this was very ambitious and a nice preview of things to come. (I like the shot, looking down at the tools - felt like I should be helping.) Too cold and windy to do much, at the moment, other than chop up sticks. Your garden looks nice, all cleaned up... Deb

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Deb! Great "untie" addition to the list! I knew I could count on you to come up with a good one!

It felt great to be outdoors, actually doing something! However, like I said... it's really too early and I'll have to be ready with a tarp should Winter return for any length of time! ;-)

Want to get Sam to take a photo of your yard? Your sticks? ha.

Silly Goose said...

Shady,
I'm so jealous that you've been out in your garden! I can't even see mine yet - it's still under snow. Boohoo!

Shady Gardener said...

Oh, dirty knees. I'm so sorry. Your turn will be here soon... I'm not really sure I'm into the Spring season quite yet.

Wish you could whistle at me when your turn comes. I'd come right over to help, if I could! ;-)

Shady Gardener said...

Oh, Deb. Anytime you want to help, should you be so inspired... ;-)
head on over. lol

Carol Soules said...

Deb, Thx for your comment on terra nova design. Yes indeed..you do have a very talented daughter. I just checked out her portfolio. Very nice!!
Carol

Shady Gardener said...

Carol,
thanks for your return visit. We BOTH have talented daughters indeed. :-)