Wednesday, March 5, 2008

In Anticipation of Spring

I just ordered something that may just prove its worth several times over. I ordered a Sunlight Calculator. It's been advertised in many places, but I ordered it through the Garden Gate magazine's store online.

Garden Gate has been my favorite magazine for years! There are no distracting advertisements or ads unrelated to gardening. Each issue is devoted to a couple of different subjects (just look it up!) with many tips and hints by the editors as well as fellow gardeners.

The sun calculator is used to determine, exactly, the amount of light portions of your garden get. After placing the calculator in the bed, it measures the amount of light over a 12-hour period. The intention is that it will help me choose plants that will best thrive in particular locations.

I'm excited to use this tool. While I won't get the right indication of light in my gardens until the trees are fully leafed, I'll be able to experiment until I need to use it. ;-)

I already anticipate the need to move a few plants... hopefully this will help me determine "where."

This IS a shady subject! ;-) And I just thought you'd like to know about it.

14 comments:

kate said...

I'm curious to see how this goes ... it's a nifty device.

The worms wouldn't survive outdoors here either. They eat an amazing amount every day. I'm having fun with this.

Shady Gardener said...

Oh... please let me know how you're doing with this. I'm really interested!

Carol Soules said...

Oooo...nice tip! Thx. A few years back I was at a garden presentation/talk and the speaker had a gadget the had made with a digital kitchen timer that clocked the sunlight. I never could remember how he made it (tho it seemed fairly simple at the time). But this looks like it would do the trick.
Carol
terranovadesign.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

If I had one of these I would go totally overboard and try mapping the whole garden/yard with a color grid to indicate which areas have the most light. Good luck with this thing, hopefully it works properly.

Anonymous said...

Interesting..perhaps let us/me know, if this gadget makes a difference in the garden.
During the last storm we lost one large tree and I have no idea how my garden will react to more sunshine. I am sure I have to move the hosta plants to a more shady area.

Shady Gardener said...

Carol,
Sometimes our time is just worth too much to try to invent something... unless that's your real interest! So, I just had to purchase this. Hope it works as well as it seems it might.

Ken,
That's what I'm afraid of. I have a little time before I can get into the garden. ;-)

guild-rez,
I, too, have lost a couple of trees lately. I did have to move a hosta. I'm certain I'll be doing some readjusting... but that's okay. I can always use the occasion to amend! :-)

Silly Goose said...

This sounds like an amazing device! Please keep us posted as to how well it works. ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a cool gizmo! I didn't know such a thing existed
I had a quick look to see if I could see them here in the UK - but no luck yet.
regards
Karen

Shady Gardener said...

Dirty Knees, I will! I hope you don't hear more about it than you want to! lol (I'm getting about ready for Spring... and having my own "dirty knees" soon!) :-)

Artists Garden, Good luck on finding one. Is there a way to order it from the link I provided? Perhaps an inquiry e-mail to the site?

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting and unique. I, too, look forward to hearing about your results this season... Deb

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Deb, I'll be so excited to try it out that I'll probably be giving out a lot of information. :-)

Gail said...

I think I over estimate how much sun my side garden gets...this would help me decide if I really do need to move those plants that seem to lean to ward the driveway and wave to me into a sunnier spot.

Gail

Anonymous said...

I just came upon your cool blog. Will be checking back often. I too am a grandma gardener etc. Nice to find you. I'm at the north west coast of California with full sun. A little shade under trees surrounding garden where I plan to try hostas. Good luck with your new sun gauge tool.

Shady Gardener said...

Gail, Guess what! My Sun Calc already arrived! I was prepared to wait two weeks. :-) I know what you mean about those little plants that beckon to be moved. ha.

Hisierra, Nice to meet you! I'll be over to visit. I suppose you're enjoying some nice weather. We are ready for Spring here. It was a very pleasant day today. It felt good to work outdoors. (Our yard, however, would not be a good place as it is either too soggy, frozen, or under a bit of snow.) ;-)