Thursday, March 20, 2008

I've been Tagged

I've been tagged by The Dellits. Once tagged, you are to write a post listing ten weird, random facts or habits about yourself. Then you find 5 people to tag. Not only do you list them at the end of the post, you have to tell why you chose them. Next, you must leave a "You've been tagged" comment on their blog. They'll come back to read the details. Once these good people have posted their list, they must remember to let you know. One good thing - they can't tag you (or me) back! ;-)

Fact One - I carry a metal tape measure in my purse. You never know when it might come in handy.

Fact Two - I also carry the tube of touch-up paint for my car in my purse. The last time I had a tube, I left in in the glove box of the car. It exploded. Rather than put it in a "safe place" (where everything goes when I lose things), I'll carry it in my purse.

Fact Three - I do pysanky. I have created these eggs nearly every year since I learned how (perhaps 25 years ago with my sister, Barb). These examples are "eggs I kept." Traditionally, pysanky are given away.
I've given one or two away each Easter. I've not been able to do pysanky these past few years, however I hope to make one or two for friends yet this week!

Fact Four - I used to be very good at doing macrame (I'm sure I still could be). I even created my wedding dress using macrame knots and crochet string. It's actually one of the most insane things I've ever done! (A sign of the times, however... early 1970's).

On the left, a friend helps me maneuver into the dress.
My sisters are on the right.


On the left is the top front of the wedding dress macrame. The photo on the right is of a neck piece that never was finished (originally intended for the bridesmaids).

The little tied strings on the right show how each string was held and knotted separately.
Can you visualize a dress form wearing the million little strings, each with a knot on the end?

Fact Five - Due to the fact that I grew up running around the farm barefoot practically all the time, the soles of my feet were like shoe leather. That changed after marriage. ;-)

Fact Six - I loved giving birth.

Fact Seven - I sleep with ear plugs (no explanation, here).

Fact Eight - If I start a picture puzzle, I cannot rest until it's done.

Fact Nine - I wish I lived closer to my parents and family. (But that would mean several people would have to move...)

Fact Ten - I love to drive.

Are those weird enough?

I'm going to tag these people: Deb at Garden Author because she seems to be ready for unique challenges (!), Gail from Clay and Limestone because I think she's fun to visit, Elizabeth Joy at Wildflower Morning because she's innovative and very kind, Kate at Kate Smudges in Earth, Paint and Life because she's so thoughtful, and Forest Zoo at The Young Naturalist because he might like this assignment! :-) Actually, it's kind of an interesting way to get to know people better. Hope you don't mind being tagged. Take your time... I did.

P.S. I've just added cinj to this list. She's in the midst of "dual (duel)ing gardens!" Dueling for her attention, that is. :-)

19 comments:

Gail said...

Shady,

Very interesting list...I see how crafty you are....Have you ever posted a picture of your wedding dress on your Crafty site?

Thanks for thinking about me and glad you like to visit. I love your blog...oh, I showed the fence you posted to a metal worker he loved it.

How's the weather?

Gail

Gail

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Gail! As far as the wedding dress, I could probably scan a photo and post it here as a late edit. :-)
We'll see how the day goes.

You're fortunate to know a metal worker! Maybe you'll be getting something for your yard?

The weather was beautiful yesterday, overcast today. The forecast is not scary. Our highs today and for the next few days are mid-forties and lows upper-twenties. "Snow showers" on Sunday. (Won't last long). ;-) Yea, Spring is coming!

Gail said...

So glad spring is coming your way, I watch the weather and have my sheets at the ready to cover up everything that might be snapped by the cold snaps!

The metal worker is making doors for our fireplace...it is naturally not a common size and had to be special ordered! I wish my budget would allow the metal garden items I could have him make, sigh.

gail

Unknown said...

Neat! Thanks for sharing. I like to get to know people, it's so gratifying.

Shady Gardener said...

Gail, Will you post photos of your fireplace doors? What a wonderful project! I know... sigh. ;-)

cinj, Thanks for stopping. It is a fun way to get to know people! Want to be tagged? (I think I just will tag you, anyway!) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Shady - What beautiful, artistic work on the eggs! And I look forward to seeing a macrame wedding gown.

Nice introduction, by the way... Deb

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Deb! Thanks. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your visit on comment.
Spring?? Perhaps one day, we have snow in the forecast again.
Wish you a very happy Easter holiday.

Gail said...

shady,

Lovely hand work....and spectacular.
Thanks for posting it.

Have a terrific weekend and some really good chocolate.

Gail

Unknown said...

Beautiful dress! I wish I were that talented.

Shady Gardener said...

guild-rez, We might have some in the forecast, too. But it won't last long.

gail, thank you... and I've been sneaking a little already. ;-)

cinj, You are very kind. I detect much talent over your way! :-)

Connie said...

I am familiar with pysanky, as my husband is Ukrainian. It is quite an art!

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Connie, I so admire "real" Pysanky-makers! :-) I just enjoy it.

Silly Goose said...

You do beautiful work with your hands, Shady. And it sounds like you've been doing it for quite some time. I can't believe you made a wedding dress with macrame! That's a lot of detail work.

Shady Gardener said...

dirty knees,
Thank you for your compliment. I much more enjoyed doing smaller projects. ;-) I think I should begin a revival of the art around here, don't you think?

Happy Easter!

Elizabeth Joy said...

I did macramé when I was a girl, but always with the big stuff. I had no idea it would work with string. I'd say you are more innovative then me. Your wedding dress is a work of art. It must have taken so many patient hours to make.

Forest and I just got home from a long trip. We will get to your tag when we are settled once again.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi EJ! I've missed you! (And Forest!) Thank you for your kind comments. I'm not sure I'm more innovative... just slightly overzealous! :-) (And it did take many, many hours... over the course of a year of college.)

Danielles Garden said...

wow, i carry a metal tape measure in my purse too. It's only 36 inches, but that's all i've ever needed.

Shady Gardener said...

ldybug, Hi! Thanks for visiting. I have taken measurements of things I "need," and when I'm in the right place at the right time, I'm ready to measure! ;-) Yep, it doesn't have to be a long tape.