Tuesday, March 25, 2008

spring... Spring... SPRING!!

Our daughter, her 4-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter arrived at our house last night. I'll be posting on "The Grandkids" soon. Anyway, daughter and son left this a.m. to visit friends in Illinois for a couple of days and little Angel was left in my care (!). ;-)

While she napped, and because it was in the mid-50's this afternoon, I ran around with a mini rake and pulled off the top layer of mulch from the flower beds - leaves from last Fall. Ohmygoodness! Look at what I found! ;-)



The photo on left shows a faint glimmer of green growth. Notice a couple of tiny, early crocus! :-) I know I have the names somewhere, but... at this point it time, I haven't recorded them.




Next, notice the cute little iris.
There are several others growing and blooming. This, also, was a Fall planting that I haven't yet recorded.

On the right is a bergenia beginning to sprout. :-)


Notice next, a few more odds and ends that I found while walking around the various beds.
A cranesbill geranium that I transplanted last fall... and lost my marker. Hopefully, I can find the variety in a past order slip. Then, there's a Green Spice Heuchera and, on the left, an Autumn fern and, on the right, an Korean Rock fern, side by side. Pretty cute. :-)











Isn't it wonderful to be walking around the yard, pulling off a little mulch, and discovering so many green, growing "goodies?" ;-)



Remember the quote and narration I took from Listening to Nature by Joseph Cornell. While perhaps not everything is appropriate to my postings, I thought this was very nice advice.


"Simplicity in all things is the
secret of the
wilderness and one of its most
valuable lessons. It is
what we leave behind that is
important. I think the
matter of simplicity goes further
than just food,
equipment, and unnecessary
gadgets; it goes into
the matter of thoughts and
objectives as well.
When in the wilds, we must not
carry our problems
with us or the joy is lost."
by Sigurd Olson

"Mark Twain was once asked if he wouldn't like to go off on holiday. He replied, "I'd be glad to, if only I didn't have to take that fella, Mark Twain, with me." Like Mark Twain, we often take "that fella" along with us when we go outdoors for recreation. Our problems, worries, and other mental baggage usually tag along with us. Being so preoccupied with our internal world keeps us from feeling our unity with the natural world.

When you go out into nature, leave your everyday plans and concerns behind. Freeing yourself in this way will allow you to experience nature's cleansing and rejuvenating power."


I need to work on that a bit! :-)
Have a great day!

"Shady"


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shady - Nice bit of philosophy and tie-in with your post. Mid 50's? We had 39ยบ with a cold wind... enough to make my few purple snow crocuses regret their exuberance. They're (the weathermen, not the crocus) talking of snow at week's end, but I'm not listening!

I enjoyed your first signs of spring - they give one hope!... Deb

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Deb,
Isn't it wonderful?? I left the leaves lying very near the bed "just in case!" You know what I mean!

Gail said...

shady,

We are jumping up and down here in Nashville that you have sunny warmer weather. We keep our old sheets near by to cover up the plants when we have frosts in late spring.

Gail

Shady Gardener said...

Gail,
We are jumping up and down, in the mornings, because it's still around freezing until the afternoon! ;-)

Monday a.m. was in the high 20's and it's warmed up from there. This morning it's around 32 degrees. (The afternoons warm up to the 40's and 50's this week!). :-)

I have to wait to put out my sun calculator until the weather is above freezing during a 24-hour period. It Won't Be Long! yea!

But, like you, I'm keeping the old sheets handy!

Unknown said...

Lucky you. I sure wish my snow would melt already. I can't wait for my grass to grow and flowers to bloom. I have one piece of greenery in my yard if you exclude all of the pine trees....

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I'm so glad you finally have flowers & lots of things sprouting. It sounds like you need a central place to record the names of things you plant. I know how hard that is to do. I try to record them in my garden journal. More than once I have found myself planting something, thinking, I'll write the name down later. Later has yet to arrive.

Shady Gardener said...

cinj, All good things come to those who wait... patiently, I think! ;-)

MMD, You're so right! I've only just begun a journal... so I've a lot of catching up to do!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Shady, what a wonderful post ! .. I confess to loving a woodland setting above all others .. not quite having that oasis in my garden, sadly, but I have many of the plants you mention ! ..
I lust after Green Spice Heuchera to add to my collection ! .. Silver Scrolls is one of the prettiest plants to see in the Spring .. heuchera seem to cheer me up when no other plants are very visable.
Wonderful philosophy to keep in mind !
Joy

Aiyana said...

Very true. Mark Twain was a master at making thruths so simple. Glad to see you finally see signs of spring. We are seeing signs of summer--yesterday was 93 degrees!
Aiyana

Shady Gardener said...

Gardenjoy4me, It's fun to know others enjoy the same plants I do! You'll love Green spice Heuchera (and there are so many more varieties now!) You might really like my little favorite Heronswood Mist Tiarella (it doesn't bloom, but... hey the leaves make up for it, as far as I'm concerned!) :-)

no rain, Weather is so unpredictable, isn't it? Yesterday I was raking a bit of the mulch off. Today I'm replacing it, as it's in the 20's and has just rained a bit. Don't know what else might be coming... I haven't checked! ha.

kate smudges said...

Hi Shady,

It's pretty exciting to rake away the mulch to find some new blooms. Spring hasn't quite arrived here - snow is predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

I like what Sigurd Olson had to say about simplicity as well as Mark Twain.

Shady Gardener said...

Hi Kate,
I'm sure I left you a comment here this morning... I'll try again. ;-)

Tuesday I did some uncovering, Wednesday I re-covered, and today I uncovered again. (It was in the 20's Wednesday - brrr!)

I confess I had to look up Sigurd Olson. Interesting reading. It's wonderful when someone has gone to such lengths to share not only the outdoors but the entire experience with others.